16 April 2007

Remove your hands from my person, if you please.

In fact, remove your person from my person.

I've always been mildly hands offish, with a large personal-space bubble. I don't like sitting so close beside friends that our thighs or arms touch, I don't use the shared armrest at a movie theater, I have many good friends I have never hugged, I don't stand close to people when I'm talking.

Blaine is the exception to all of this, of course; I sit so close to him as to practically be on top of, I hold his hand while walking, I hug frequently, etc. And yet, there is still too much distance and too little contact for his own personal tastes much of the time.

Back to our story: I love my children, I dote on my babies. But will you please all get off my lap?! I just want 30 minutes of not being touched, sat upon, or felt up. (Macklin, whom I am trying desperately to wean, frequently squishes his favorite part of my anatomy.) As soon as I put Macklin down, Kyrie climbs up. As soon as I put Kyrie down, Macklin says "Nnn! Nnn!" and raises his tiny arms with the cutely dimpled elbows, wiggling his fingers. As soon as I put Macklin back down Kyrie's back up. And if by chance I get away from those two sweethearts, Ethan or Libby is ready for a cuddle. And Jackson loves to stand beside me here in my computer chair and wrap his little arms around my right one, curtailing my range of motion almost entirely.

I love them all, and I adore the little shows of affection. But today I'd just like a couple of isolated moments, not being touched, grabbed, pushed, pinched, petted, pawed, squished, or sandwiched. Just a couple.

Of course if I ever chance to get away – for a jog, say, a solo grocery shopping trip, or even if Blaine takes all the kiddles somewhere and leaves me alone for a couple of hours – I'm ready for all the cuddles they'll give me as soon as we're reunited. So! I guess I need to get away for a bit!

Any volunteers to watch the kiddles while I go off alone? ;)

No comments: