28 March 2008

Here's the irony:

Our water heater is small (for a family of nine, thirty gallons doesn't go far at all) and ancient (so it isn't very efficient, we don't really have 30 gallons of hot water). Plus we only have one actual shower (the other bathroom has only a tub). So we have to time our showers carefully so that we're not all getting in each others' way and so that we have enough hot water for everyone.

So 8:00 a.m., after I've made breakfast, while the kids are eating, is my sacred shower time. No one showers at 8:00 but me. Emma wanted to shower this morning, but she knew she couldn't do it at 8:00, or even before 8:00. Mom is not a happy camper when the hot water is all gone at sacred shower time. (And Emma does, somehow, use all the hot water. She's always last in the shower queue for that reason.)

But I hadn't been jogging yet and so decided to get school started, jog while everyone was doing math or something, and then shower. So neither Emma nor I showered before school.

Fast forward to lunchtime: I decide, after making lunch and doing some tidying, "Now's a good time to go hop in the shower!" I haven't jogged yet but it is freezing outside, chilly inside even, and snowing, and at the mo' I'm just not inclined. So I skip off to my bathroom, and what do I hear? The shower. Emma beat me to it.

Sigh. So now I have to wait another hour or so for the hot water to regenerate—I'm absolutely longing for the day when we can replace that ancient hot water heater with a tankless—and I have to sit here cold, stinky from my morning workout, hair all askew and unkempt. Growl. And sigh.

----------------
Now playing: Muse - Sing For Absolution
via FoxyTunes

No comments: