08 October 2010

Little Frankenstein

Wednesday was a weird, wacky day. The kids were rolling and stomping and steamrolling through the house, and I could. not. get. them. to. settle. down. At all. Lots of yelling, lots of noise. Occasional crying when someone [usually Kyrie] got hurt. I'd say, "Calm down, guys. Stop now. Someone's going to get hurt even worse."

At about 3:45 pm it finally happened. Kyrie screaming like crazy, so naturally I assumed it was she who was hurt. But no. "Mom! He's bleeding! He's going to need stitches. MOM!"

Well I don't automatically assume stitches are needed on the advice of my six-year-old. I gathered Macklin onto my lap and applied pressure for a long time, going through lots of tissue. About 20 minutes later he was really quite calmed and the bleeding had stopped. Now, remember: I get nauseated when I even think my kids are hurt. I just can't stand for them to be in pain. I lifted the tissue, and Mack's forehead was gaping wide open. I quickly put the tissue back and loaded him into the Suburban, and called the clinic on the way: "I have a kid who needs stitches, I'll be there in 10 minutes, I hope you can work me in."

They did, bless them, saving me $50 over the cost of an ER visit. Our good friend and neighbor Dr. Allan Day did the stitches, it required two deep stitches and four on the surface.





Though he'd just had stitches in his toe about six weeks ago, I still thought he was pretty brave. He definitely remembered the numbing shots and dreaded them the worst; and though he did scream his little lungs out, he was perfectly still and didn't thrash around for that part. Then while Dr. Day was doing the stitches Macklin was telling him all the subtleties of just who is an Autobot and who is a Decepticon in Transformers 2, and spoiling the ending of Iron Man 2.

I bought him a doughnut for his bravery. (Last time he got a tiny little ice cream cone.) On the way home he said, "I don't want stitches ever again. Those shots hurt! And I don't want more shots. But next time I get stitches, let's get a snowcone."

Unfortunately (?) the stitches will be out next Monday, so we can't even work this into a nifty Halloween costume.

5 comments:

Laura said...

That IS a bummer about not being able to use it for a costume. I hope it heals well! *kisses*

Kris and Teresa said...

Ouch! I was just thinking that it was perfect timing for Halloween...but I guess it's better to have it all over and done with.

Linda said...

My level of "Can't-believe-we've-never-had-this-kind-of-post" has just reached "never-ending." Nice work, little Mack!

Mickellerox said...

So what did he DO exactly? That's part of the story too! :) I also like that it inspires him to think of future treats. I used to just LOVE going to the doctor with my mom or dad in the middle of the day because they'd usually make it an event and take me out for lunch too :) PS- I miss MUSE :(

Alyson said...

Mickelle, I have no idea what he did. All I've gotten out of anyone by way of explanation is "He hit his head on the wood burning stove!"