29 May 2014

Because when my children achieve things, it feels like I achieve things.

(1) Emma had a fantastic three weeks in London. She had some hiccups and small disappointments in the portion of the trip that she planned herself, but in all it was a terrific success and she saw and did a whole lot and she was ready to come home when it was over which I think is a good sign. And then, when she got home, she opened her mission call, which had been sitting here waiting for her for two weeks.

She's going to the California Santa Rosa mission. Her proselyting language will be Spanish, which she will learn in the Missionary Training Center (MTC) in Mexico City. She leaves August 20, and I am so excited for her. This is going to be an amazing experience, and is probably just about perfectly suited to make her grow in just the right ways for what she wants to do when she gets back.

The world is such a different place than it was when I served my mission. There are mission pages on Facebook and she is already "meeting" other people called to the same mission, or going to the Mexico MTC at the same time. So cool. And the coolest part about the Santa Rosa mission:

"The California Santa Rosa Mission is the first mission in the world to have gone “global” to the four corners of the earth. Missionaries use mini iPads, internet access and skype to teach friends from far and wide. The internet and facebook are used to contact and teach investigators, strengthen relationships with members and contact less-active members."
I had heard about so-called Facebook missions, where a few missionaries in a mission might have iPads and be on the internet an hour or so a day to connect with people and to teach, but how exciting that it is every person in her mission! This, too, is perfectly suited to her talents and abilities. And it will make it so easy for us to communicate with her on preparation day (aka P-day, the day when missionaries are allowed to write home)!

So even though it is Emma's mission, it's really pretty exciting news for the whole family.

(2) Christian graduated from high school. Graduation at Wasatch Academy is pretty great. The student body is small (graduating class of 103) so they actually take the time for the headmaster to read a tribute to each and every graduate, written by their advisor. The advisor walks across the platform with them, stands next to them, and hands them the diploma. Friday evening, the night before graduation, was the final performing arts showcase. Christian and Libby both performed. (Libby ended up winning a cash prize for choreography. I think Christian should have won for his piano piece *objectivity is not my strong suit*, but another pianist won.) He'll be attending Southern Utah University in Cedar City in the fall, and I can't wait to see what he decides to do once he's there!

(3) Oh hey and I forgot to mention, Jackson was officially accepted at Wasatch Academy for next school year. I'll be down to three homeschool students next year. But I'm so excited for him!

3 comments:

Laura said...

ALL amazing things! What an exciting time for you and your family!

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

Congrats to your growing family! Tell them to stop it!

The Gardners said...

SO cool! Can't believe your kids are graduating and going on missions already!! Congrats to them all!!