31 August 2007

Simply Gorgeous

I'm trying to hold on to today, even while it slips minute by minute past me. Today is our last official day of summer vacation: school starts next Tuesday, and I go back to juggling household chores, personal endeavors, running-about errands, and five students' progression. I love summer and am always sorry to see it go. All of my ambitious plans of last May have not been executed like I planned and hoped, and now I'll need to try to fit them in with everything else that crowds our busy school day schedule.

The weather is so beautiful right now, too. It isn't as unbearably hot as the end of July, and yet not so cool that we have to shut the windows at night. Last night Blaine and I were walking home from several blocks away at 10:00 p.m., and the temperature couldn't have been more pleasant. Autumn isn't in the air yet, but it is nice to have those oven-like days behind us.

Tomorrow we'll drain and clean the pool, and leave it to dry in the sunshine. We'll try to paint the front door frame, which really should be done while we can comfortably leave the door open twenty-four hours a day. We'll mow the lawn and organize the bikes in the shed. And while there are still plenty of warm, sunshine-filled days ahead of us before winter sets in, it still feels like the end of something golden and lovely.

2 comments:

Emma Lee said...

Great plans! Looking forward to school!(Sort of) ;)

Joe and Amy said...

I don't know how you juggle it all. Wow! I agree that fall is golden and lovely! It's my favorite season of all.