I don't mean jealousy, I mean money. Monstrous stuff!
Thursday I put together my homeschool book list for this year. I don't know why I put it off for so long. Wait, yes I do: because I knew I wouldn't be able to buy it yet, and I really hate browsing stores without money because it feels purposeless. So here I am, staring $568 of books and supplies in the face (so to speak, really staring them in the spreadsheet but that doesn't sound as poetic does it?) and wondering how on earth I'll pull that off.
Thank heavens I'm not starting from zero! I already have, for example, grammar supplies for Ethan, Jackson, and Christian, so I only have to buy for Libby and Emma. And one recommended giant science reference book I already have, yay! Some supplies are consumables so I need to buy new for each child, but of course by now I've gathered quite a lot that will do for everyone the whole way along. Unless something drastic happens, like deciding Pluto isn't a planet anymore, which sort of renders my stuff obsolete. *glare*
I made a calendar to put on my schoolroom wall. A big one that can easily be seen across the room, with plenty of space to write a whole family's activities. Just covers the school year, Sep 2007 to Aug 2008. For years I've had a laminated posterboard with a calendar grid on it that I can personalize each month, writing the days in the right places and decorating it for the month and season and filling up with our various events in wet-erase pen. It's my little homeschool teachery version of the bulletin board. But it bothers me that I can't write down things that are coming up in future months, so I decided to go with a paper calendar this year. I was going to buy FlyLady's, but it just wasn't ... cute enough for me. (Argh, it's true. I love fancying up my calendar.) So I constructed a cuter calendar in Word and had Blaine, who by a piece of great luck works at a print shop, print and spiral bind it for me.
It is always so satisfying beginning preparations for the school year. :)
19 August 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hi Alyson,
Thanks for sending me the info. It was fun to read about the going ons of these last few months. I especially liked the post about riding the bikes to the cemetery. It reminded me of a book I read in grade school. "Wait til Helen Comes." I can't remember the plot, but the feeling I had while reading your post was the feeling I remember from the book....and in the words of our dear governator. . "I'll be back!"
Don't you just get so much satisfaction in picking all your favorite curricula and books, and organizing everything just the way you like it?! I get a strange thrill out of organizing for hs each year. Okay, so I'm only on my 3rd year, but it's something I look forward to! So much fun. Love your blog!--Kara
Post a Comment