14 October 2008

Utah Third District congressional race

I'm in the third district here, and I was pretty glad that our incumbent rep, Chris Cannon, was given the boot in the primaries. There are quite a few long-term senators and representatives I'd like ousted at this point. (I'm talking to you, Orrin Hatch, and you, Bob Bennet. Out! Now!)

KSL hosted a debate between the three candidates for the third district, Jason Chaffetz (R), Spencer Bennion (D), and Jim Noorlander (Constitution Party). Jim is a neighbor and friend from right here in Sanpete County. I know him well, and he is probably the most principled man I know. I voted for him two years ago, when he also ran (unsuccessfully) for congress. Without major party representation he still garnered almost 10% of the votes cast. He's a good man. In this debate his devotion to principles came through loud and clear, though in all areas except illegal immigration his action points, his purpose for running, did not.

I was pretty impressed by Chaffetz, I've got to say. Good thing I still have a couple of weeks left to decide where my vote is best placed. And in true Utah style, even the "Democrat" Bennion would be a fairly good vote, since he's pretty darn conservative, too. Hee hee, he's the only one that tossed around names of the Church hierarchy as though they were backing him. :)

I tried and failed to embed the video of the debate. If you're interested (which I doubt *g*) you can find it here: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4519503

No comments: