12 September 2009

Words cannot contain my SQUEE

Ordered the new Muse album (release date next Tuesday, 9/15) directly from Warner Brothers so I could get a limited CD/DVD version.

It just arrived. Three days early. *scream*

The entire album is online, I've been listening to it for days; but given the debacle of last time when I had to wait extra days and days to get my Muse HAARP DVD, I do feel just a bit fabulous to be the first to have my copy in my hands. Pwned.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

now i need to hear it to see what the fuss is all about.

Bloody Paws, Inc. said...

I heard it was not very great.

Alyson said...

L, in this you were misguided: it is a gorgeous album, freaking fantastic.

Bloody Paws, Inc. said...

How does it stand against previous albums?

Alyson said...

On first listen, I thought, "Who is this band, and what have they done with Muse?" On one song ("Undisclosed Desires") I couldn't even hear it as Matt Bellamy's voice at first.

But the more I listened (and believe me, I have) the more I heard Muse. And it's a joy to listen to, because several of the songs are jokes, and meant as jokes, and they were laughing as they recorded them and I laugh as I listen.

Has everyone heard the first single by now? Uprising. It's fantastic, and up to their standards for certain. Resistance is the drummer's virtuoso moment, and a fantastic song on top of it. Undisclosed Desires is new and unexplored territory, I'm not going to lie, but the more I listen the more I like. United States of Eurasia is one of the joke songs; but even so, underneath the silly lyrics and Queen-like harmonies the music is all Muse, with Matt's incredible classical piano woven into a real true live rock song. Guiding Light stacks up right beside, for instance, Starlight. Unnatural Selection RAWKS, like Plug In Baby or some of Matt's more intense guitar riffs. MK Ultra (my current favorite on the album) calls New Born to mind, and could have been on Black Holes and Revelations. They've done other things like I Belong To You before—experimenting with other styles (in this case, sort of a honky tonk piano) and making them their own—I love love love this song for its funkiness, though I'll be interested to see if they remove the French opera part for the New Moon soundtrack. Exogenesis...What can I say? Gorgeous. All those people who told Matt to cut it out with the falsetto should listen to Exogenesis and weep.

I love the entire album, there's not a single song I skip. It's cohesive, and it probably is their best work to date. Origin of Symmetry was my favorite album before because it had the greatest number of songs I couldn't live without hearing, but this one is probably tied now.