05 January 2010

Driving, dates, and dreams

Sixteen years ago on 5 January 1994, just after midnight, my Emma was born, and forever changed my life for the better. I thought sending her away to the academy was a shock to the system, but this is shockier. Soon she'll be driving and dating and in general too grown up for me to even comprehend. Thanks for being a wonderful daughter, Emma—for being a great big sister to a large family, for always being willing to play, for listening to your parents, for making good choices, and for working hard. You're amazing, and you get more and more amazing every single year.




8 comments:

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday Emma!

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

Love that last picture! She is so beautiful! Happy Birthday Emma!

Laura said...

She's a daughter I'm sure anyone could hope for! Happy Birthday!

Linda said...

Wunnerful, wunnerful, wunnerful! Just channeling a little Lawrence Welk, there...happiest of birthdays to that oldest child!

The Gardners said...

Happy Birthday Emma!

Bloody Paws, Inc. said...

Super late to the party, but Happy Birthday!

Joe and Amy said...

Happy Birthday again!

Joe and I are looking together and he thinks your header is a photograph from the Angel's Landing hike, I think it is a painting. Who is correct?

Alyson said...

When I set up that page we'd just visited Zion NP. I googled pictures, and that's the one I chose. I figured it was probably at the top of Angel's Landing, but the photo didn't say specifically where it was taken. So Joe's right, it's a photo. But not one I took. But I thought the scenery itself was a metaphor for parenthood—craggy, difficult almost to the point of being impossible, but beautiful, and with highs more joyful than any lows are sad.