We didn’t find out until after lunchtime that the meet and greet was before the concert—we were to be at Will Call at the venue at 5:45, where they would take serve us a bit of dinner and then we’d meet the band and have pictures taken by a Warner Brothers rep. The opening band Silversun Pickups started at 7:00 p.m.
Other radio stations had also given away meet and greet packages, which surprised me. Lots of different people did different things to meet the band. After the various winners had stood around a bit talking they herded us into groups according to whom we’d won meet and greet passes from, and the X96 group—that’s us—got precedence. Joan and I went to the head of the line and followed the Warner Brothers rep out of the building, down the stairs past the long queue, and down to another entrance. They scanned our tickets there and checked our bags, and then we went through a long hall and through many sets of doors, past Muse’s dressing room, into a room.
The E Center is primarily a venue for the Utah hockey team. Our room appeared to be something like a dressing room for the visiting team. Cement floor and black fabric panels all around concealing benches and a bathroom/shower room and other cinderblocky, cementy construction. In the middle they’d set up a suede sofa, a coffee table and two end tables with two table lamps (which was all the lighting we had in the room at first).
The five winning posters were laid out on a table. They’d framed them for us, and there were unframed ones that were to be signed by the band. They kind of laid out the plan for us—“Explain your designs to the band, and then we’ll take a picture of you and your guest with the band members”—And then we waited. Talked and freaked out and waited. I was so excited and nervous, any time the door opened I sort of held my breath and my heart skipped a beat; I joked with Aaron the WB rep that he needed to stop opening the door and not being Muse because he was in and out and in and out and in and out, every time making my heart stop a little bit. He laughed and told us that he’d been warned about us by the DJs at the radio station. That amused me mightily.
One of the times the door opened, Dom was right outside it. He was on a bike in the hall—ahahaha!—and totally losing control of my mouth and my actions, I yelled out “HI DOM!” and frantically waved. He did look in through the crack of the closing door.
We were in that room waiting and talking to each other for about 30 minutes. It felt like forever. Then someone came in and said, “I think we’re ready!” We were all arranged in a semicircle to meet them. Even after the ready signal, we waited another few minutes, but eventually they did come in.
Each of the winners got to go up to the table and explain our poster design, surrounded by the band members. They were mostly quiet, didn’t say much, though they were very personable and friendly. Gracious, I would say. I did get a small reaction out of Matt, amused at Dom’s outfit in my poster. I asked Dom if he liked it and he smiled, may have mumbled something I don’t remember. Mostly I think my explanation was, “Blah blah blah nonsense nonsense sixteen-year-old-daughter helped me with this part* I DID IT BECAUSE I LOVE YOU.” I told them the primary element of the design was that I’d erased the guy off the path in The Resistance logo because I wanted everyone to put themselves into that spot, and there was a general grunt or murmur of acknowledgment. My time was over and the next artist stepped up. *(Joan just told me today when we were at lunch with one of our other sisters that when I mentioned my 16YO daughter Dom sort of stepped back and looked me up and down, hee hee. I didn’t see that part.)
After they’d seen them all they went out for about a minute and discussed in private (Joan invited Dom to stay and he said, “I think we’re going to do a bit of secret voting,” and said something along the lines of it’ll just be a couple of seconds but I can’t remember exactly.) While they were out of the room WB reps lined us up along one black-paneled wall for a mass group photo with the band. Muse came back in and announced the grand winner (they chose the poster they thought would amuse their fans the most, heh), then stood in front of our assembled group for the picture. Matt came and stood right in front of me—like my hip and shoulder were touching him. And then they were gone.


(click on photos to see larger or read notes)
Things that didn’t happen as promised: dinner, smaller group pictures.
They went out to the next meet and greet. I believe there were one or two other meet and greet groups besides ours going on, and I have to say, despite the fact that Muse was being guided here and there and had a lot of people to meet and the Silversun Pickups were already playing (we could hear them from our dressing room dungeon beneath the ground), they were really gracious and present in the moment. They never looked bored, they never acted like they were in a hurry or wanted it over with. They didn’t say much and the time we spent with them was very short, but they were great about it.
So we sat there waiting for the other meet and greet to end before they’d take us out to where we could get to our seats. We missed more than half of the Silversun Pickups—small bummer, I also really like them.

Fingers crossed the mad laserz didn't blind anyone, because as you can see from the next photo they were scanning the crowds' eyeballs over and over again. Looked cool when they were moving, but eeps for the eyeballs.

It was snowing when it was all over. It took us a while to gather up again since we were spread in three different locations, but we made our way out into the snow. Blaine had parked, intentionally, on the far corner of the parking lot right next to an exit. The man’s a genius. We brushed the snow off the car and we were out of the lot immediately. My niece texted us when we were almost back to my sister’s house saying, “This is ridiculous, we should go back into the merch table and buy Tshirts or something.” She wasn’t even out of her parking spot yet, and we were nearly home.
- Chris has lost his tummy. He is so beautiful.
- Even Chris isn’t all that tall, maybe 5’11”. I was frankly surprised at the not tallness of him, because he towers in pictures. Dom was, what, 5'8"ish and Matt 5'7"ish.
- Matt’s eyes were not so crystalline blue as they look in photos. Could have been the lighting in the room.
- Glitterati (his signature red/glittery Manson guitar) is alive and well, despite the fact that he smashed it on stage last week.
- I was the only real fan of the band among the poster winners. (Sad! The grand winner hadn’t even heard any of their songs.)


Because of weather their trucks couldn't make it all the way to Denver for tonight's show, so it was canceled. I feel bad for poor Denver, but I'm so glad it happened after SLC!

6 comments:
I'm so glad you wrote about this so that I can have a written memory of all the occurrences as well. We are the best, aren't we?
So fun to read. Love your little observations. More than anything...so glad you got to meet them!
Alyson, this is so great! I am just so happy for you both! Meeting ones famous favorites just doesn't happen all the time, its just so exciting!!
I sort of love that, to a novice like me, the band is indistinguishable from everyone else in the picture. So approachable!
Love your story and glad that everything worked out for the best. And keep those DJs in your pocket; you never know when Muse is coming back to town.
What great documentation! Very detailed. I felt as if I could have been there too! :) Thanks for sharing! SOOO glad you guys had such an awesome time!
Very nice! Great trip! I am so excited that you were so excited :)
Post a Comment