Things have changed since I was 16! When I was getting my driver's license I had to (1) take driver's ed, both a classroom and a driving portion; (2) go to the DLD and take a written test and eye exam; (3) do a driving exam with someone at the DLD.
So I assumed things were the same!
Emma finished her driving portion of driver's ed last week YAY, and I just got the email notification that her final test and essay assignment were approved in the classroom portion (which we did through Utah Online High School, and I shall never do that again because it took her too long when left to her own little timeframe).
I just called the DLD (because they're in the local office on every Monday and select Thursdays so it seemed a very fortuitous time to contact them) to schedule a driving test. They said, "Didn't she already take it with her instructor? We have a pass in the system."
So you don't have to take a road test anymore, the one she took on her last day with the driving instructor counted! She doesn't even have to take another written exam, the classroom portion counts for that! All we have to do is take a new pic, pay $30, show her ID, and she is a licensed driver.
That can all happen next Monday.
She will drive to school on the first day! After two years of having my morning schedule hinge around getting her to school, I don't ever have to drive her any more!
I am so happy! :D :D :D
Now hub and I just need to talk about rules. I'm thinking she only gets one fender bender or speeding ticket for free; infraction number two comes with some amount of time off driving (during which my schedule goes kaput again, sigh) and infraction number three might mean she has to fund her own driving. But that's all serious stuff, and it's harshing my excitement about having Emma be almost a licensed driver. So I won't think about that for another week. :)
----------------
Listening to: R.E.M. - Shiny Happy People
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Yeah! What if she never gets one! She may be the most amazing driver ever! Go EMMA!
Hooray! Congrats to you BOTH! :) Best of luck Emma!
Oh-a driver...I still have 3 years! Scary. You know I didnt know that they send a copy to your house. . .I know that now. Maybe you should tell her that~just sayin!
Yay-hay-hay! And cool down, mama! No harshing her excitement! To say nothing of my mellow.
Post a Comment