The washer/dryer lasted about twelve years, BTW. The bed only lasted about seven years, by my 4th pregnancy a futon just wasn't cutting it anymore and I needed a real mattress. And the sofas lasted about eight years—when we bought this house in July 2000 those couches came with us, but they were pretty beaten up. Luckily one of B's brothers was moving out of state and gave his sofas (which had been given to him by someone) to us. They were in better shape, and I guess for the moment style was irrelevant because they went with not a single thing in our home. Then a few years later when they were downsizing, my parents gave us a big sofa and two loveseats, which is what we still have today. The upholstery is never what I would have chosen, but one sofa plus two loveseats equals perfect, because we need that much furniture to seat our whole family of nine.

(Though this is a much more recent pic of the room, which has evolved. However it is not as good a photo of the sofa and loveseats, which is why I put the older photo in in the first place.)

But not perfect, because they'd seen ten years of wear before my parents gave them to us, and we've had them another five. Seriously, fifteen years of lots of people sitting and children romping, and these things are not what they used to be.
I wish I could afford new ones in my color and style, but I really can't. Not at the mo'.
So here's my dream. If i could do anything at all today I'd buy these "leather" slipcovers for my sofa and two loveseats:
Here, let me give you a little close up of that "leather"!
And then (as pictured above) because these sofas are deep like a lake and require cushions on the back and still my feet dangle and don't hit the floor, I'd recover my back cushions with this:
I am most sincerely ready to do this, this very instant.
I should be homeschooling though, rather than dream decorating.
Important ;) addition: because the adjacent (more or less same room) piano room has a navy and dark green floral rug (which does coordinate with the sofas, well enough)—
If I changed all the furniture to black, that rug would also have to be replaced. I found this area rug which would just kick butt with my Japan decorating theme:
I should be homeschooling though, rather than dream decorating.
Important ;) addition: because the adjacent (more or less same room) piano room has a navy and dark green floral rug (which does coordinate with the sofas, well enough)—



2 comments:
I am crossed for you too :) We are in need of replacing couches. Ours are about 8 yrs old... Life goes on :p
Crazy how furniture doesn't last all THAT long. I love your taste. :)
Post a Comment