11 October 2011

I'm surprised Pastor Robert Jeffress wants to wage war with our entire cult!


http://nation.foxnews.com/mitt-romney/2011/10/08/anti-mormon-pastor-anderson-cooper-romney-may-belong-cult-he-better-obama


Here's what I find illogical about this man's position, quote by quote.

"Theologically a cult is a religion that has a human founder, versus a divine founder. Joseph Smith is the founder of Mormonism, versus Jesus Christ to whom we look as the head of our church."
So! John Calvin, Martin Luther, John Wesley, John Smyth, and other founders of protestant churches are aliases for Jesus Christ! Now I understand, He's a very busy person and can't always be using His own name to found churches.

"Hindus, Buddhists, Islam: cults?"
"Yes, absolutely."
Well, we're in voluminous company, then. Anyone who uses an alternate religious text is a cult. In fact I detected a whiff of disrespect toward the Old Testament—it's New Testament or cult.

"If I were to say to you, Anderson, 'You're not a Republican,' I don't think you would disagree with that. I would say that not because I think that you're a bad person..."
So telling a liberal journalist that he doesn't espouse Republican values, and telling an entire religion named The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that they're (1) not Christian and (2) a cult, are equivalent statements, and equivalently harmless and factual. No values judgement here! No personal attacks at all!

"If it came down to a choice between Mitt Romney and Barack Obama, I'd vote for Mitt Romney. I think it's better to have a non-Christian like Mitt Romney who embraces Biblical values, rather than a professing Christian like Barack Obama who embraces non-Biblical values. I accept Barack Obama's claim that he's a Christian. I have no reason...to doubt his public statements."
He actually said "no reason not to doubt his public statements" (emphasis mine) so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, editing that "not" out, because I believe that's what he actually meant and his tongue just got twisted on live television. But he's willing to believe that Obama (who, in his opinion, embraces non-Biblical values) is a Christian because he has stated it, but he is not willing to believe Mitt Romney and the entire LDS Faith is Christian, based on our statements. Though our church name is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (Notice, for example, we're not Smithians.)

3 comments:

Lillian said...

Isn't this entire thing hilarious? And Anderson Cooper just kept shaking his head. No need to point out what an idiot the guy was making of himself, though. He was doing a fine job of that all on his own.

Laura said...

Seriously. That guy's not so smart... His smile throughout the whole interview also bothered me.

The Gardners said...

Seriously!! Oh my Gosh that guy is dumb! Wow! I don't know what else to say... Wow!