Cheese and Vegetable Chowder
4 cups water
3 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup finely chopped ham, bacon, Canadian bacon, whatever smoke flavored meat you want
2 large carrots, sliced thin
1 5.25- to 5.5-oz. pkg dry au gratin potato mix
1 cup milk
1 tsp cornstarch
1 cup frozen cut green beans (or, I used drained canned green beans all the time)
In 4-qt pan combine water, cabbage, smoked meat, carrots, and the dry potatoes with sauce mix. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Combine milk plus cornstarch, add to soup along with frozen beans. Simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes more or until beans are tender. Makes 4-6 main dish servings.
And just FYI, my vegan version turned out CREAMY DELICIOUS SCRUMPTIOUS as well. I used fresh potatoes sliced thin instead of a mix, and flavored the broth (5 c water 3 c soymilk, because I doubled the recipe) with vegan bouillon, a heaping Tbsp of nutritional yeast, and Goya Ham Flavored Concentrate (which, conveniently for me, does not contain ham of any kind). So tonight, I win and you win! :D

2 comments:
Good for you! Glad it was delish!
And...wow. What a GREAT picture. Very cool how the blues and browns all work together with the stone. Did you stage it or did Blaine?
That DOES sound delish! Thanks for the gift of goodness!
Post a Comment