09 November 2011

Forgive us this day our daily rant:

(1) The hardest part of homeschool. It is not teaching math or science to the older grades. It certainly isn't teaching a kindergartner to read, which is a delight start to finish. What is the hardest part of homeschool? Keeping the house tidy. Imagine summer vacation when kids are in and out all day, and leaving stuff all over. But summer is easier (at least here in arid UT) because when they come in they're dry as a bone. In the autumn they track in dry leaves and leaf skeletons. In the winter they track in snow on their wet boots. In the spring they track in mud. And they do it all day long. And they leave out toys, and they leave out dishes, and if ever I even need to do something like bake a birthday cake (happy birthday, Macklin!) then school has to come to a grinding halt and they make even more messes.

I love them, and I love homeschool. But this is the hard part. Not curriculum or organization or anything else. It's keeping the house liveable.

(2) Many years ago when Emma and Christian were wee and my bigger nephews and nieces (who are less than 10 years younger than me) were in their early teens and experimenting with vegetarianism or veganism, I remember all being gathered at some family meal event. It might have even been Thanksgiving, I don't know. And there's this lovely serving platter of food (who knows what it was? soup, stew, casserole, it doesn't even matter) and I said, "Can't you just pick out the meat? Isn't it vegan then?"

That has come back to bite me in the butt so many times in the last 13 years. So allow me to post this as a Public Service Announcement: Using meaty broth in a dish, or cooking with meat, taints everything in the entire dish. We can't just pick out the meat and eat the rest. Having had meat in the mix makes It—whatever It is—inedible to someone who doesn't eat meat.

I can't believe I was so naïve once that I didn't know that. But I still encounter people on a monthly basis who are equally naïve and think the same thing.

4 comments:

Laura said...

The non-clean house would also drive me nuts! And remember that one time we had taco salad at your house and I was the one being naive?? :) Thank you for the teaching moment.

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

Oh man. I can't even imagine trying to keep the house clean... It almost drives me nuts when hubby is home on the weekend, cuz he is exactly the same :)

Melissa Lee said...

I understand! When I told a member of my bishopric that I couldn't eat wheat (concerning the sacrament bread) he very nicely said, "Well, we will just have to have white bread from now on." Duh!
-Melissa

Lillian said...

I keep thinking someday my comparably-small number of homeschoolers will be old enough to clean up after themselves, and then that problem will go away. Sadly, between "I can't clean that or I'll never get a A in Chemistry" and nonstop ADD-caused-clutter-tendencies in EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US ZOMG, I don't think that will happen. Not until THEY go away, and then my house will be tidier but very empty. :(

I spent hours last night researching yummy vegan-friendly Thanksgiving menu items and thought of the awesome spread you put out for that meal. Hopefully this year none of our non-meat-eaters will starve because someone used the wrong item in the mashed potatoes.