Here's an oddity for you: I had no idea what a scone was until a couple of years ago. That is, what we Utahns call scones the rest of the world would probably call fry bread. I had no idea we were out of sync with everyone else; I assumed that because we have a chain of restaurants here called "SconeCutter" that feature [Utah] scones [=fried bread dough] and Navajo tacos [=tacos not on a shell, but on fry bread YUM] there would only be one definition of scone, and it was my definition. So when I read about scones for tea, I assumed I was on the same page as everyone else. It was only a couple of years ago that I realized, no, scones are something else completely.
Tonight on the menu was muffins, roasted veggies, and corn on the cob. But as I got to cooking I wanted a little change of scenery: we have muffins or my own version of whole wheat baking powder biscuits so often, I just figured I wanted to do something a little different this time. Scones, I thought. The rest-of-the-world version. So I did a search for whole wheat scone (just for fun) and found this recipe. I'd never made scones of any description before, let alone whole wheat, so I didn't know what I was doing, but they turned out great. Like, yummy to beat all yumminess. Soft and barely sweet and just delicious to my mouth. So I'm sharing just so you can make yummy wheat scones too if you want to. And if you want to make them for me, substitute soymilk for the cream. ;D
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
YUM! can't wait to try them. I can't remember when we were first introduced to English scones but they are soooooo good. I think it was Great Harvest bakery when we lived in Provo. I have never made them myself, but I'll have to give it a try. Glad to hear they were a success!
Post a Comment