22 July 2009

This Boomer isn't going to apologize

I can say firsthand that if boomer parents have anything for which to be sorry it's for rearing a generation of pampered kids who've been chauffeured around to soccer leagues since they were 6. This is a generation that has come to regard rising affluence as a basic human right, because that is all it has ever known -- until now.
This Boomer Isn't Going to Apologize - WSJ.com


I don't know if, born in 1968, I can rightly say that I'm a Baby Boomer or not; but my siblings all qualify, and I am undeniably of the same generation they are.

To this entire article, I say AMEN. I feel no guilt for the impact I've made on the earth. I do my utmost to be responsible, to leave things better than I found them. What's more, I think the progress that has occurred in virtually everything in my lifetime is near miraculous. It's a wonderful time to be alive, and I'm not sorry—even in the slightest—that I am alive. I hope to leave behind a footprint of some kind, carbon or otherwise, that lets people know that I walked this gorgeous, fabulous earth for a number of years beginning in 1968.

What kind of world are my kids inheriting? It's light years ahead of the world I had at their age, and improving every day. No apologies here.

----------------
Now playing: White Rabbits - The Plot
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

Linda said...

I'll be honest, and you can just count out the article because I haven't read it. I'm just saying, that, as a matter of course, the Boomers can't do enough apologizing, for myriad things. Miraculous contributions abound, but the trade-offs are just staggering. And I'm just grumpy about it. :)