Four years ago right now, I was feeling overwhelmed, almost buried beneath the weight of too many things I needed to do. In my homeschool I had a sixth grader, a fourth grader, a third grader, and a kindergartener, all of whom needed instruction at their grade level and a patient, loving mom. Ethan was a mischievous preschooler—the kind of kid that, if he’s not somewhere making a ruckus, I’m worried because I know that silence means trouble. I had one-year old baby girl. And I was unexpectedly pregnant. It felt to me like I’d lost my precious balance, and that at any moment everything could come crashing down and flatten me.
Into this circumstance walked Brother Jim Eriksen, calling me to be a member of the new Relief Society presidency. I almost laughed about it, except that at the time it really didn’t seem all that funny. And yet, even it the midst of the overwhelm, the chaos and turmoil of emotions, I felt a tiny spark of calm in the center. It was a kernel of peace, a tiny assurance that I was in the palm of God’s hand, and that all would be well.
So I accepted the call. My heart was reluctant, but I accepted.
I have learned that God’s plan for me is so much better than my plan for me, if I can be patient enough to let it unfold. If I can be still, and know that He is God. Here I stand four years later, no longer overwhelmed, with a three-year old son I adore. The education counselor has been a fabulous calling, right in line with all my strengths. It made me get out of the house, get out of my wallow, and focus on others—just what I needed to do. It gave me friends, oh so many friends.
Yesterday I was released.
I know another terrifying calling I'll accept somewhat reluctantly is probably right around the corner.
----------------
Now playing: Cary Brothers - True
via FoxyTunes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I had a similar experience. They called me to be 1st counselor in the primary and at the time I had a new baby, Matt was Young Mens president, and I had Insomnia. I remember feeling a little nervous about it. But after I got set apart I felt fine. It has been the most rewarding calling I've ever had. Last week I got released and I cried. I have never cried about getting released from a calling, but I think it's that theory of Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of god. I think when we agree to serve even when we feel like we have nothing to give we are strengthened.
What a great lesson to learn. We aren't in charge. That's for sure. :)
Hopefully your new calling will be in the distant future and something like the person that calls and reminds you the cannery is tomorrow and tells you the time you are scheduled for. You know something like that would be fun and easy. SWEET.
So, I know you know that I have just been called to the calling you've been "relieved" from. I too, felt like you did, minus the homeschooling and probably a few kids too! Sometime you'll have to tell me all that you did, ya know, all that "magnifying." ;) I've received a little bit of training...but we'll have to talk sometime.
Post a Comment