05 September 2007

On the homeschool schedule for Wednesday: Home Economics

This is one of the great things about homeschooling – when my visiting teacher calls up and says she has rows and rows of beans ready to pick, I have built in slave labor! No! No. I mean, I can lighten up on the history for one day, and teach the kiddles a skill I never learned myself: canning.

We went and picked beans Tuesday afternoon during a light rain. We only got one row picked before it became a heavy thunderstorm, but given that I'd never done beans in my life one row seemed like enough. Wednesday morning we rinsed, rinsed, rinsed, snapped, and packed jars. (I used every quart jar I had and then called two older sisters in our ward who don't can anymore and got jars from them, too.) We ended up with seventeen quarts, after a good two hours' work.



Then I went to my visiting teacher's house and watched the pressure gauges while we processed the beans, and six hours later, voila! Sixteen quarts of beans for the food storage! (One quart broke in the pressure cooker.)



Yes, this is not a complete year supply. But I'm ridiculously proud of it anyway.

2 comments:

Joe and Amy said...

Wow! I am impressed. Canning/bottling was something I did with my mom growing up, do you think I paid any attention? Of course not! I have bottled with her, peaches, pears, apples, grape juice, tomatoes, salsa, tomato juice, spaghetti sauce, cherries, and I'm sure a host of other foods. It's so sad....the older I got the less food she canned and now...the only thing I have bottled since getting married is tomatoes and she helped me. There are so many things I should have paid more attention to while I was at home. I have a list of things I want my mom to teach me how to do again, now that they are more relevant to my life. Trouble is...she's to busy and I'm too far away. I should have paid attention the first time! :o)

Joe and Amy said...

One other quick story...the last time we bottled tomatoes was right before we moved to Spokane. Joe left a few weeks before us and we flew up after. My mom and I had just bottled tomatoes and I really wanted to take them. I called Delta and the SLCIA and asked them if it would be okay to carry them on (it was post 911). They said yes...so my dad carried on a big box of bottled tomatoes...we had many funny looks and got to tell the story many times. It's silly, but the tomatoes were so special to me. Each time we ate soup or spaghetti using them I felt so proud because I knew the effort it took to get them there.