19 May 2010

Baked tofu!

A few weeks ago someone (I seriously cannot remember who, because I am senile) linked me to a recipe for baked tofu. I got right out of my chair, baked up some tofu, and it was gone in about 3 minutes because all the kids snarfed it. We've baked tofu pretty much every day since, and everyone loves it.

It's so easy!
  • Press water out of a block of tofu, the firmer the better. After I do the first pressing between two plates with extra weight on top, I add a couple of paper towels to the bottom plate beneath the tofu and press again.
  • Slice the block into slices about 1/4 inch thick, or into quarter inchish cubes.
  • Marinate. We do just plain soy sauce most often, and we marinate right on the baking tray. Soy sauce plus sesame sauce is outragously delicious, but here are lots and lots of other ideas.
  • Spray baking pan with whatever you use for oil/nonstick. Lay out slices/cubes with space between them.
  • Bake in 400ยบ oven for about 20 minutes. (Can be done in toaster oven! For a shorter amount of time.) If you have slices rather than cubes, you may want to flip them over and crispy up the other side for an additional 5 minutes.
  • You can serve it warm, or you can put them in the fridge and eat them chilled.
  • YUMMY.
If you kids already like tofu, this will become a staple. I'm using it as a snack, but also I'm finding that I'm baking up my tofu before putting it in recipes, like sesame tofu or mabodofu. That little bit of crispy makes all my tofu recipes exquisite.

2 comments:

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

I haven't noticed your little family banner on the bottom before. So very cute :) Maybe one day I will try baked tofu... One day... :p

Connie said...

I may pick some up while I'm grocery shopping today, although I can't say that I have high hopes my eldest will eat it (our Adventures in Tofu Smoothies had mixed results). If I disguised it with the suggested cornmeal coating, I might trick him into eating (and then gagging out) one bite. *sigh* How did I end up with this kid?

I want to try the lemon basil kind though. Mmmmmmmm.