05 May 2010

Children's Day

Children's Day (こどもの日, Kodomo no hi) is a Japanese national holiday which takes place annually on May 5, the fifth day of the fifth month, and is part of the Golden Week. It is a day set aside to respect children's personalities and to celebrate their happiness.
Children's Day (Japan) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I never even think of today as Cinco de Mayo, because the Japanese version is so much fun. If you haven't ever read about Children's Day* then you could read about it over at Wikipedia if you were inclined. :)

____________________
*Which, when I lived in Japan, was Boys' Day; Girls' Day (ひなまつり, Hinamatsuri) is 3 March (third day of the third month) and also a fun and beautiful holiday, with all the stores and most houses sporting massive doll displays like this one:

3 comments:

Laura said...

I like this idea much better than "Cinco De Mayo." Children are wonderful! :)

Lillian said...

I just realized this connection: It's Children's Week in World of Warcraft. Duh! Why didn't I make that connection before?

Kris and Teresa said...

Addie and Demzi got to celebrate their first Girl's Day with Kris's sister this year. She went on her sister to Kobe so decided to do that with all the kids