16 December 2008

Newly discovered Christmas song of the year

Jesu, Son Most Sweet and Dear

Blaine was in a special, by-invitation choir for a Christmas performance last Sunday. They practiced for about six weeks beforehand, and I went to listen to the final practice. I blubbered like a baby during this song. The soloist—a good friend of mine, fellow homeschooler—her voice is so much prettier than this soloist's, and so well suited to the song.  It was such unalloyed beauty I couldn't stop weeping. When I heard it again at the program I cried again, a little less uncontrollably that time. And now that I've just purchased the song from iTunes I suppose the time for crying is past, and the time for enjoying has arrived. I like the harp in this recording even better than the piano accompaniment Blaine's choir had.

It's lovely. Give it a 30-second listen, if you're so inclined.

----------------
Now playing: Soli Deo Gloria Cantorum, Almeda Berkey, Director - Jesu, Son Most Sweet and Dear
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

Linda said...

The one that kills me is the BYU Men's Chorus version of 'Bethlehemu'. Ridiculous how I overreact. But then, that's kind of my M.O.

Shauna said...

It was so good that she didnt even need a microphone. Moved many people that day!